Resources – Paddling
Clubs and Organizations
- American Canoe Association: acanet.org — Serves the nation’s paddlers by helping to ensure safe, enjoyable recreation opportunities on America’s waterways.
- American Rivers: americanrivers.org — The nation’s leading river conservation group, which has worked since 1973 to protect wild and scenic rivers, repair damaged rivers and restore wildlife habitat.
- American Whitewater: americanwhitewater.org — A national non-profit organization with a mission “to conserve and restore America’s whitewater resources and to enhance opportunities to enjoy them safely.” American Whitewater represents individual whitewater enthusiasts, river conservationists, and more than 100 local paddling club affiliates.
- Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness: friends-bwca.org
- Inland Sea Kayakers: isk.canoe-kayak.org — an organization of sea kayaking enthusiasts who enjoy sharing trips, sharing information, and improving their skills.
- Minnesota Canoe Association: mncanoe.org — The MN Canoe Association is comprised of adults and kids who love paddling in all forms, from canoeing to kayaking, racing to ambling, flatwater to whitewater.
- Minnesota Kayak Fishing Association: mnkayakfishingassociation.org — A way for kayak anglers in the upper midwest to meet and share information with each other.
- Minnesota Stand Up Paddleboarders Association: facebook.com/MNsupa — We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corp. created to provide stewardship of the waterways of Minnesota and to teach the sport of Stand Up Paddle boarding (SUP).
- National Organization of Whitewater Rodeos (NOWR): nowr.org — A committee of the American Whitewater Affiliation created to organize North America’s growing number of whitewater rodeo events.
- Rapids Riders: rapidsriders.org — Rapids Riders seeks to promote the responsible enjoyment of whitewater canoeing and kayaking through volunteer instruction in technique and safety, combined with trips and informational activities while also working with local agencies and private concerns to ensure the future of the sport in the upper Midwest.
- Superior Kayak and Outdoor Adventure Club: skoac.org — SKOAC is a group of around 150 paddlers dedicated to fostering a supportive, educational environment for those interested in sea kayaking and other outdoor endeavors.
- Twin Cities Paddlers: groups.place/Twin-Cities-Paddlers — Our mission is to schedule enjoyable group paddles on lakes and rivers in the Minnesota area. We strive to have a variety of trips, enabling paddlers of different abilities to join trips that they will enjoy.
Destinations, Events and General Info
- Boundary Waters Canoe Area: — boundarywaterscanoearea.com. This site is a public service for patrons of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (BWCAW).
- Canadian Canoe Routes: — canadiancanoeroutes.com Canoe route information and a forum.
- Canoe Country: — canoecountry.com (Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness) Complete trip planning resources. Gear lists, permits, news, history, FAQs, travel ethics, discussion forum, products, educational resources and books.
- Canoe Camping: — canoe-camping.org Lists the top 40 canoe trips on rivers throughout the United States.
- InfoHub: — InfoHub.com Adventure Vacation Planner.
Minnesota Department of Natural Resources: — www.dnr.state.mn.us
• MN water trails. www.dnr.state.mn.us/watertrails
• MN boating and water regulations. www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/boatwater
• MN watercraft license renewals. licenses.dnr.state.mn.us
- National Wild and Scenic Rivers: — rivers.gov Explains the National Wild and Scenic Rivers System, created by Congress in 1968.
- Paddle Planner: — paddleplanner.com Unique tools for planning BWCA, Quetico, WCPP, and other backcountry paddling trips, including maps with a route time and distance calculator.
- Paddling.com: — paddling.com/paddle/locations Interactive paddling locations map.
- Quetico Provincial Park: — ontarioparks.com/park/quetico
- Recreation.gov: – Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness Permits, etc. — recreation.gov
- Roots Rated: — rootsrated.com/minneapolis-mn/flat-water-paddling Find the best outdoor experiences – hand-picked by Grassroots Outdoor Alliance experts. Local area outdoor experiences are submitted by the staff of Midwest Mountaineering. Take a look and see our employee recommendations!
- Three Rivers Park District: — threeriversparks.org/activity/paddling/ Where to paddle in the Three Rivers Park District parks.
- U.S. Forest Service: – Superior National Forest — fs.usda.gov/superior
- Boundary Waters Journal: boundarywatersjournal.com — Publication focusing on the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, Quetico Provincial Park and surrounding Superior National Forest.
Outfitters, Guides and Schools
- Crossing Latitudes: crossinglatitudes.com — Tim and Lena Conlan’s guiding service.
Weather and Maps
- USGS Guide to the Water Resources of the United States: water.usgs.gov — United States Geological Survey page on water resources.
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA): noaa.gov — Detailed information on oceans, climate, weather, fisheries, navigation and more. Especially relevant for sea kayakers.
- NOAA Hydrologic Information Center: water.weather.gov/ahps — River and streamflow conditions provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- The Ultimate Weather Resource Guide: areavibes.com — Links to many weather websites. Great road-trip planning resources.